Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Apple Crisp: Quintessential Autumn

What could possibly be better than a warm apple crisp, fragrant and steaming, fresh out of the oven?

I would vote a raw apple crisp pulled straight out of the fridge!

Ok, so maybe we are comparing apples and oranges here (or at least hot apples to cold ones...). You really can't compare much to a warm apple crisp right out of the oven, but there is plenty to love about this twist on a classic.



It may not be Grandma's recipe, but boy does it taste just as good. To be quite honest, I dismissed the recipe for a while, passing it off as a boring and potentially complicated dish.

But now I am seriously considering taking this to Thanksgiving dinner and not telling anyone how healthy it actually is.

But don't take my word for it (whoa, flashback to the Reading Rainbow.....)

Here's the recipe so you can check it out for yourself. And see if it doesn't take at least half as long to make as a traditional crisp:

8 apples, peeled & chopped
1 c. raisins, soaked & drained
2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 c. walnuts
1 c. pitted dates
1/8 tsp. sea salt

Place 2 apples, raisins, 1 tsp. cinnamon & the nutmeg in a food processor or Vitamix and process until smooth.

Toss remaining chopped apples with lemon juice in a large bowl. Pour apple raisin puree over apples and mix well.

Spoon mixture into a medium sized baking dish and set aside.

Crumble:
Pulse walnuts, dates, 1 tsp. cinnamon, & sea salt in a food processor or Vitamix until coarsely ground. Don't over mix.

Sprinkle mixture over apples and press down lightly with your hands.

Serve immediately or let sit for a few hours for the flavor to marinate.

As a side note, this recipe can be found in the The Real Food Diet Cookbook by my boss, Dr. Josh Axe! I was the project manager for the book and I have to say I'm pretty darn proud of it. Check it out here.

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to keep the oven free on Thanksgiving. This looks delicious! The book is beautiful, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! You bring up a good point about the oven on Thanksgiving. I've haven't ever hosted a holiday at my house, so that thought didn't even cross my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely one of my favorite things about fall is apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails