Thursday, August 12, 2010

Flavor of the Week: Mango Chicken Salad

Summer is so good to me. I love the sun. I love the fruit that is in season. And I love having a big bowl of chicken salad in the refrigerator when I come home for lunch.

This a very summer-y chicken salad. I don't exactly have a recipe for this one because I just started chopping things up and throwing them in a bowl.



Here's a rundown of the ingredients:
  • Chicken thighs (because they are cheaper), boiled then chopped
  • Celery
  • Walnuts
  • Apples
  • Mango
  • Cucumber
  • Veganaise (with grapeseed oil)
  • Lemon juice
  • Sea salt & pepper
I like to serve my chicken salad on a bed of baby spinach leaves. This recipe is way too chunky to stay inside the bounds of a sandwich. Plus spinach is so much better for you than bread--it's super nutrient dense, high in antioxidants and other nutrients like folate and iron, and won't give you a carb coma later in the day.

Blueberries would have also been stellar in this salad.

The great thing about chicken salads is that you can put just about anything in there, and it will likely taste wonderful. At the tea room where I served tables in college, Mrs. Judy had a famous chicken salad recipe. She used grapes, celery, dried cranberries, and almond slices.

What is your favorite chicken salad recipe? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails