Thursday, October 7, 2010

Easy Stromboli

I grew up eating strombolis (strombolii?) and calzones from this New York style pizza place in Memphis--Milano's.

And I do still love a good, greasy pizza these days too. I can pack it away with the best of them.

So when I found Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough for a dollar (scratch that--99 CENTS!), I went to town making homemade pizzas piled high with veggies and goat cheese.

The pizza dough isn't the healthiest thing on the face of the planet. It still has gluten and canola oil (which is a rancid oil after it's been processed). And even 'whole wheat' is super processed and turns to sugar quickly in your body. But keeping a big picture perspective, it's not the worst thing you could possibly eat either.

And so inspiration hit me recently and produced this lovely dish:



Here's what I did:

I cooked up some grass-fed beef and chopped onions. While that was in the pan, I divided the pizza dough in half and rolled each half out into a rectangular shape.

I spooned the meat into the center of each rectangle of dough, then added spinach and goat cheese.

Next I folded the long sides on top of the meat about halfway. Then, starting with the bottom of the dough (the side closest to you on the counter....), I folded the dough over the filling and rolled it up like a burrito.

I placed them on a baking sheet and baked according the pizza dough directions. In the last 5 minutes I brushed some coconut oil on the tops to make them crisp and lovely.

Definitely a hearty meal. Very 'guy-friendly' as well. And very open to your own interpretation!  

What stromboli fillings do you want to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails